Mr. Miller was raised in Calvert City, Kentucky. He attended Vanderbilt University on a four-year Army ROTC scholarship, graduating in 1985 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics. He received a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Kentucky in 1988. He served as an officer in the United States Army Reserve for many years.
He initially began his law practice in Lexington, Kentucky in 1988. He served as Chief-of-Staff for Congressman Tom Barlow (a member of the United States House of Representatives Merchant Marine Committee) from 1993-1994. He also served as Vice-President and General Counsel to Marquette Transportation Company in 1994 and 1995. He has been in private practice in Paducah since that time, and founded The Miller Law Firm in 2008 with his wife, Laurie M. Miller. He is a founding partner of Miller Hahn, PLLC. He has been named by Law and Politics as a “Super Lawyer” in the field of Transportation-Maritime.
His practice includes litigating personal injury cases for the defense, including maritime cases arising under the Jones Act and the general maritime law involving personal injury, death, collision/property damage, cargo, maritime liens, marine construction, vessel documentation, insurance coverage and indemnity issues. His practice also includes negotiating and drafting all varieties of maritime and general commercial agreements including vessel charters, contracts of affeightment, fleeting agreements, employment agreements, insurance agreements, sales agreements, service agreements, contracts pertaining to banking matters, mergers and acquisition, commercial real estate transactions and other commercial transactions.
Mr. Miller has handled cases involving National Transportation Safety Board and the United States Coast Guard, including several formal hearings. He served as lead counsel for litigation matters in numerous states including Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Texas and West Virginia.
His areas of practice include Admiralty-Maritime (including Insurance, Litigation and Transactions), Bank Issues, Business-Corporate-Commercial Transactions, Commercial Real Estate Transactions, Creditor’s Rights, Employment-Human Resources, Estate Planning and Probate and Mergers and Acquisitions.
Bars & Courts:
• Kentucky Bar, 1988
• Illinois Bar, 2001
• Texas Bar, 2011
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
• United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
• United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
• United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
• United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
• United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
• American Bar Association
• Kentucky Bar Association
• Illinois Bar Association
• Texas Bar Association
• McCracken County Bar Association
• Maritime Law Association of the United States
• Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
• Port of Paducah Propeller Club
Mr. Miller served as President of the McCracken County Bar Association in 2011 and 2012. He also is a Fellow of the Kentucky Bar Association. He is a member of the Board of Directors of Banterra Bank, and the Murray State University College of Business Center for International Business and Trade. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have two daughters.