Mr. Ryan is a native of New Orleans, Louisiana. He graduated from Tulane University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1984 and achieved his Juris Doctor degree cum laude from Tulane in 1987. He joined The Miller Law Firm in 2011. Prior to joining the firm, he was a partner in the law firm of Lemle & Kelleher, where he had practiced law since 1987. Mr. Ryan is an experienced litigator, having conducted many trials and evidentiary hearings during his career. He has handled cases in federal and state courts located in Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Texas, and Florida.
His practice involves litigating a variety of admiralty and maritime matters including personal injury, death, Longshore and Harbor Worker’s Compensation Act claims, collision/property damage, cargo, marine construction, insurance coverage and related issues from their inception through trial and appellate practice. He also specializes in negotiating vessel sales and charter agreements, and drafting of related documents, prosecuting and defending contractual claims, particularly those involving indemnity issues between marine contractors and in the context of the oil and gas industry. Mr. Ryan has prosecuted and defended maritime lien and state law lien and privilege claims including the seizure and/or attachment of property and vessels to enforce maritime liens, materialman liens and state law privileges associated with vessel construction and services and materials provided to vessels, and defended Occupational Safety and Health Administrative and Coast Guard agency investigations of personal injuries and death, and citations issued by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration before administrative law judges and Occupational Safety and Health Commission.
Mr. Ryan has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America® in the area of maritime law and Louisiana Super Lawyers® for transportation/maritime, energy & natural resources, and insurance coverage issues. His peers have selected him to be awarded an AV® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell.
Bars & Courts:
• Louisiana Bar, 1987
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
• United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
• United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
• United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
• United States Supreme Court
• Louisiana State Bar Association
• American Bar Association
• Federal Bar Association, New Orleans Chapter
• Maritime Law Association of the United States
• Tulane Maritime Law Center Committee
• Mariners Club of the Port of New Orleans
• Stuart Hall School Board of Trustees
• "Violations of Statutes, Regulations, Customs/Practices - How They Affect a Marine Operator's Exposure", 2013 River and Marine Industry Seminar, April 24-26, 2013.
• “The Medical Care and Obligation of the Employer to the Crew in the Normal, Usual or Emergency Medical Situation” Panel Member, 2010 River and Marine Industry Seminar, April 28-30, 2010, New Orleans, Louisiana.
• “The Ebb and Flow of Maritime LA” OMSA Legal Forum, November 19, 2009, New Orleans, Louisiana.
Mr. Ryan has previously served on the Board of Directors of the Federal Bar Association, New Orleans Chapter, from 1998-2004 and 2006-2008. He served on the Board of Trustees of Stuart Hall School for Boys from 2008-2016, where he served as President from 2012-2014. Mr. Ryan and his wife, Lori, have three sons.