Ms. Skinner was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. She attended Louisiana State University and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English in 1988. She received a Juris Doctor degree from the Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, in 1991, and has practiced in the New Orleans area since graduation.
Ms. Skinner’s practice spans over 20 years and emphasizes a full range of maritime, oilfield, casualty, and insurance matters. She spent 12 years with the maritime and insurance defense firm, Gelpi, Sullivan, Carroll & Gibbens, and then worked 7 years with the Fowler Rodriguez firm. In 2010, Ms. Skinner joined The Miller Law Firm and opened its New Orleans office. Ms. Skinner was named by New Orleans Magazine as one of the top lawyers in New Orleans in maritime law and enjoys an AV peer rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
Ms. Skinner is an experienced litigator and trial attorney specializing in all facets of maritime and oilfield defense work, including claims involving the Jones Act, the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, offshore and onshore claims and maritime liens and vessel arrests. She has considerable trial experience in Louisiana state and federal courts. A significant portion of her practice is devoted to the preparation and negotiation of maritime, oilfield, and commercial contracts. Her clients are inland river towing companies, oilfield service contractors, offshore supply vessel owners, protection and indemnity clubs, London market syndicates and other insurers.
Bars & Courts:
• Louisiana Bar, 1992
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
• United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
• United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
• United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
• American Bar Association
• Federal Bar Association
• Louisiana Bar Association
• New Orleans Bar Association
• ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
• Louisiana State Bar Association Client Assistance Fund Committee
• Tulane Inns of Court
• New Orleans Association of Defense Counsel
• Propeller Club of New Orleans
• Port of New Orleans Mariners Club
Ms. Skinner was named by New Orleans Magazine as one of the top lawyers in New Orleans in maritime law and is past chair of the Admiralty & Maritime Law Committee of the Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association. She currently serves on the Louisiana State Bar Association’s Client Assistance Fund Committee.